Saturday, January 28, 2012

DIY Nursery Decor


Once I buckled down and finally decided on an Owl and Birds theme for my youngest son's nursery, I was appalled at the prices of simple wall decor. Pieces averaged $40 for one picture, so I sought out an affordable alternative. I managed to make four 12"x13" owl prints and one 2'x3' bird print without having to buy any supplies!!

I selected cardboard from large smooth cardboard boxes that we already had and cut them to size. I imagine that canvases could have been used in place of cardboard, but canvas is also pretty pricey.

I then used Acrylic paint to cover the backgrounds and design simple branches and a tree. To make the owls, birds, and leaves, I used scrapbook paper that I also already owned. By cutting the specific shapes and layering the different patterns of paper, I acquired the desired effect. I attached them by using Mod Podge to ensure longevity and I was finished! They turned out fabulous and didn't make a mark on my Nursery Budget, which left the extra dough for something that I couldn't construct by simply using the supplies I already owned!

This technique could be used for any theme and would make a great gift for a mommy-to-be, without costing you or her an arm and a leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment