Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY Family Sign



I had an empty shelf. That seems to be how a lot of my projects are inspired. Which meant, as soon as my little angels' heads hit their pillows, I was off and running to fill the unnatural void! I gathered foam board, acrylic paint, paper, glue, artificial flowers, an X-Acto knife, scissors, a paint brush, and a large cup o' coffee.

To begin, I designed and cut the desired shapes from foam board with my X-Acto knife to form the letters for FAMILY. **TIP: When cutting foam board, be sure to use a very sharp knife or your cuts will leave jagged edges** After the letters were cut, I glued the pieces together and then covered them in standard paper to produce an absolutely smooth surface on all of the letters. Time to refill the coffee cup! Once the paper was in place, I painted them all in two coats of solid white acrylic paint. While they dried, I cut a 24" long piece of foam board for a base and painted that with a basic black acrylic paint. I then glued the letters in place on the black foam board piece and then secured the flowers with superglue.

This process can be used to produce any word you wish to display and will look very similar to the wooden designs that you find in department stores! Get creative!

Dimensions:

Letters- 6" tall, 1.5" deep
Platform- 24" long, 2.5" wide

Cost:

$0. Made with scrap materials that I had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment